Thursday, June 09, 2005

Jigsaw Puzzles & Riddles

Jigsaw puzzles & Riddles. Most people like jigsaw puzzles and riddles, at least I do. My only problem is a town should not be one of them. Someone made a comment to me a while back that our town is a large jigsaw puzzle. I didn't think so at first, but the more I look at it, the more I can see his point. From what I understood on Civic Planning, normal town development is from the center outward, right? Well, it seems that Farragut isn't developed that way. There are several places where there is no development within the town, but places on the outskirts where there are major developments. Anyway, my riddles are--why are these areas undeveloped? Why did we allow all those churches on Kingston Pike (ever try to get out without assistance after church on Sunday mornin')? Why have we got all those businesses that are boarded up when we're building more new commercial developments? Shouldn't we have 90%+ of our businesses filled before building more new businesses?

I really want to know what you all think...comment away

--
Anonymous comments are allowed, just keep them clean, o.k.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always noticed that the older the city, the farther west you went the more urban sprawl and development...

June 10, 2005 8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really has more to do with when a farm is sold than any other factor. This was all farm land in the 60's and 70's. The town has little to say in the issue. Except for zoning. I have often wondered why the churches are where stores could be. That is a little strange. Anyone know why?

June 10, 2005 2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Developers control Farragut and much of Knox County. They don't make money by operating storefronts; they make money by building new buildings and creating ever-increasing sprawl.

June 11, 2005 4:15 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Interesting thoughts. But a developer does make money by renting storefronts for a profit, as well as writing off the building via depreciation. They may not make as much in 1-chunk as when selling a house, but they do make money doing it.

June 13, 2005 8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that Randy meant developer as builder/contractor rather than property manager; if so, his thoughts are right on the money.

June 13, 2005 3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home