Wednesday, June 01, 2005

The Isle of Farragut, Part 2

I've linked back to the original post in the header in case you want to see it.

Well, oh my 19 responses other than my own. I didn't think I could cause such a stir! Anyway, I've noticed a few common threads going on there. Impact Fees/Urban Sprawl, Schools, Crime and Traffic. All of those threads pretty much point back at the town and it's leadership, don't they. Which direction to follow? Is it the right one? Are there other opportunities we could be missing along the way? Well, from the praises and the gripes, I've noticed that I end up with more questions than answers, and to be honest, I don't know if I'd be making the right decisions, either. This is why you elect leadership that hopefully takes our town in the right direction. However, back in March/April, when the town's election was held, only 16% of us voted (I was one of them). Would someone please tell me why this election is held in the oddest possible time in the first place? Also, would holding the election during a different time (like, the normal US election day--1st Tuesday in Nov.) make a difference?

Let me know!

--
Anonymous comments are allowed, but keep them clean, o.k. We don't want to become the editng police!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That time just happened. It had to do with when the town was incorporated.

It might not be a good time for election day but people had two weeks of early voting and there is no excuse for not voting. Those that did not vote do not give a damn. Knoxville has about the same voting percentage.

Is it is the same in Chattanooga or Nashville? I would be curious. Anyone?

June 02, 2005 9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the date should be changed regardless of how it came to be. The goal should be to have a date when the greatest number of people can vote. Why not have our election when the other elections are held?

June 02, 2005 3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard that that 16% was a RECORD! If that's a record, then the town should be ashamed of its apathy!

June 03, 2005 9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen. Those who don't vote shouldn't be allowed to complain. Maybe the city could implement an experiment in online voting?

June 03, 2005 1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Online voting is supported by the Democratic Party and opposed by the Republican Party; with that said, it is a great idea that will never come to Farragut.

June 15, 2005 5:09 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Online voting is supported by the Democratic Party and opposed by the Republican Party; with that said, it is a great idea that will never come to Farragut.

Interesting to see which group favors expanding the options available to voters while the opposition likes keeping those options limited. As an independent, I believe that everyone should get a proper chance to vote, and the easier we make it, the better!

June 23, 2005 2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home