Sunday, May 01, 2005

Self-Absorption by Cell Phone & Driving

On Michael Science's blog, he talks about almost getting hit by a couple of drivers talking on their cell phones. Well, it seems like the insurance industry concurs with Mike on what appears to be an increasing problem nationwide. But is it worse in Knox County? Maybe, maybe not. The insurance guys are probably motivated by how much money they can save the companies they represent, but in this case, it's also a matter of how many injuries and deaths can also be prevented! That becomes a win-win for everyone because it eventually lowers your insurance rates (meaning more $$ in your pocket).

Personally, I think it's not just the cell phone usage, but the tailgating, speeding, and overall selfishness (and self-absorption) of drivers in Knox County. I'll admit, I use my cell phone to call my wife on her cell and tell her that I'm on my way to pick her up, but I have her on speed dial (she's #1), keep the conversation short (30 seconds or less) and I get off the phone and back to driving asap. Common sense should tell you that if you're going to spend a lot of time on a conversation, you pull over to a parking lot or some other place out of traffic's way.

Now if cell phone usage is banned while driving, then I'll observe the law, but I don't know if that measure is too extreme or not at this point. But I'll be the first to admit that it won't be the first time I've been wrong, and it won't be the last.

--
Anonymous comments are allowed, but keep them clean, o.k. We don't want to become the editng police!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The problem is driving while distracted and many states have laws about this. Have you seen how many young drivers look at their hair in the mirror?

I have seen people eat while talking on a cell phone while they speed. I hope there is a special place in Hell for these jerks.

May 01, 2005 6:48 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I think that if you come close to reckless endangerment, then yes, you should be punished, but should one be punished for a short call? Now the situation on Mike Science's blog is reckless endangerment, but I guess the sins of a few ends up the punishment of many, doesn't it.

May 02, 2005 11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home