Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Another Young Life Taken Away From Farragut

Are we just willing to continue living with the status quo? The citizens of Farragut spoke (or didn't speak, to be more precise) and voted to continue with the status quo. Well, with the 3rd traffic fatality within the last 6 or 7 months, this is becoming all too familiar. And don't tell me that it's up to law enforcement or that kid's parents. The root cause is the community mentality which apparently is to speed, drink & drive, speak on the cell phone, apply makeup, eat, and read the paper (sometimes all at the same time!). That, and drivers who believe that they pretty much "own the road" with the bigger vehicles bullying the smaller ones.

Meanwhile, we're supposed to be courteous and share the road (doesn't matter if it's a Hummer, Big Rig, Vespa, Harley-Davidson, or even my Bicycle!). I mentioned on my other blog about what I'd do in a humorous way, but being serious, it's time we either fix what's really wrong (and I mean root-cause) with these roads, or we start heavily enforcing the speed limits within our town!

I know that there is a short period of time at the beginning of each board meeting and planning commission meeting where citizens can voice their concerns. Maybe it's time for all of us to start making time to do that. Ask for a road commission, safety commission, and other commissions to make our towm a better place. Sure it'd be a volunteer job, but you know what I think at this point anything to make our town better has to be considered.

Let me know if you feel differently.

I see that on one of my fellow Bloggers has issued a challenge here. I say we take him up on it!

--
Anonymous comments are allowed, but keep them clean, o.k. We don't want to become the editng police!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone hear about the latest accident on Virtue Road? A car which would have hit a tree went through the fence and ended up on Willow Creek golf course.

I guess it is a good thing those trees were cut down.

Anyone have any details on this?

April 29, 2005 9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about this morning. There was an accident @ Concord and Northshore. We've got to start holding our leaders accountable!

April 29, 2005 10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home